Reference: MC0012 – please quote on application
Employment type: Permanent, Full Time
Hybrid working policy: Method operates a hybrid working policy. The candidate will be expected to work in the office for 50% of the working week.
At Method, we provide a wide-ranging technical consultancy service with sustainability at the heart of the design process. We get involved in the design at early stages and work collaboratively with the wider design team to provide solutions, striving to achieve our client’s targets, minimise energy use and achieve net zero carbon. Accurately predicting a building’s operational energy use is a crucial element in meeting various client/planning requirements, with operational energy analyses becoming common place in many projects we work on, from office blocks to prison buildings.
Included in Building Magazine’s Top 150 Consultants & Top 50 Engineers list for the past three years, we have also been included in the Top 50 Employers in Building Magazine’s annual survey for four of the last five years.
Salary range: £28k-£40k
The successful candidate must, by the commencement of employment, have the right to work in the UK.
- The engineer will be involved in operational energy modelling from concept stage, through to early-stage planning submission and finally onto practical completion
- They will be required to undertake advanced computer modelling, report outcomes and recommendations, and assist other team members
- The engineer will work to improve workflows and automate procedures through intelligent script writing
- The successful candidate will be working towards chartership, have proven experience, delivering to time, quality and budget
- Undertake advanced computer modelling of building performance in operation using IES, including detailed modelling using Apache HVAC
- Advise design teams and clients on how to reduce operational energy use through passive design, energy efficiency and renewable technologies
- Prepare clear, concise reports and technical notes to communicate with internal and external clients
- Improve workflows, automate processes and analyse results using scripts
Experience and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have 6 months to 5 years’ relevant experience, primarily professional, but academic will be considered.
Understanding of Net Zero Carbon in buildings and whole life carbon impacts.
- Knowledge/experience of NABERS Design for Performance, CIBSE TM54 operational energy analysis
- Experience in using IES Virtual Environment software, including undertaking Apache HVAC analysis.
- Understanding of BREEAM in relation to building performance.
- Understanding of low carbon design and ability to provide recommendations at early design stages
- Experience in using coding using languages such as Python to write scripts to analyse results and manipulate windows files
- Experience in using modelling software such as Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino is preferable
- Educated to degree level in physical sciences or any engineering discipline, for example physics, mechanical or electrical engineering, building services engineering, environmental engineering, architectural engineering
To meet with current legislation, at the time of starting their employment, the successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK.
We offer 24 days’ leave plus additional flexi-leave (up to 12 days flex, plus an additional 10 days’ unpaid leave), flexible working hours, private healthcare, life assurance, company pension scheme, regular appraisals and a profit-share bonus scheme. Salary is highly competitive and will increase rapidly with experience.
Method Consulting is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably-qualified persons.
To apply please send your CV and a chatty letter telling us about your background and why you are interested in the role to us.
Please note we cannot accept applications without a chatty letter or cover letter.