Reference: MC001 – please quote on application
Start Date: September 2024
Location: Swindon/ Bristol/ Cornwall (please specify 1st and 2nd choice of location on applying).
We will try our best to accommodate location preferences where possible but in some cases you may not be allocated your first or second choice location for your initial training period.
Employment type: Permanent, Full Time
Are you passionate about sustainable building design and want to join a leading independent sustainability and engineering consultancy?
We are recruiting for a number of Graduate Sustainable Mechanical & Electrical Services Engineers (Building Services Engineers).
Based at either our new modern head office in central Swindon which has good travel links to London, Bristol and Bath, or one of our other offices in Oxford, Bristol or Cornwall, you will have the opportunity to expand your skillset and gain invaluable knowledge from other team members, whilst working closely with our other business groups.
Method operates a hybrid working policy so this will be a blend of the office and working remotely.
Starting Salary £30k
Graduate Training Programme
Our Graduate programme last around 2-3 years however, this timescale is wholly dependent on the individual paths each person will take. The aim of the programme is to give all graduates a structured pathway for the start of their career.
All graduates at Method work on real live projects and learn on the job carrying out tasks for those projects – this programme gives you some insight into what to expect within those two years including the formalities of technical reviews, membership of professional institutions etc.
Technical and non technical education such as presentation skills and time management courses etc, will make up a significant part of the programme. Everyone’s training is individual and tailored to their strengths and weaknesses enabling you to reach your full potential and gain both reward and satisfaction.
You will also be encouraged to develop your qualifications and become affiliated with an accredited institution such as CIBSE, IMechE, IET or the Energy Institute.
Included in Building Magazine’s Top 150 Consultants & Top 50 Engineers list for the past three years, we have also been included in the Top 50 Employers in Building Magazine’s annual survey for four of the last five years.
We are committed to providing the very best to our team and our workplace initiatives ensure that you will have the right resources and skills to achieve your goals.
Role and Responsibilities
- Building services engineering design including mechanical and electrical engineering and building physics
Advising clients on how to achieve net zero carbon through engineering design and specification
- Working with design teams including architects, structural engineers, quantity surveyors and specialist consultants
Advising on building services aspects of BREEAM and other sustainability assessments
- Computer thermal modelling of buildings to assess energy use
- Site visits to construction sites to inspect building services installations
- Advising on building-integrated renewable energy
CAD and BIM using AutoCAD and Revit
Depending on experience, being the main project runner and main point of day-to-day contact for smaller projects
Experience and Qualifications
- An appreciation of sustainability, renewable energy technologies, thermodynamics and energy systems are essential
- You must be interested in the built environment and have the ability to communicate clearly and professionally
- You will need to adapt to new situations quickly and be willing to contribute as an active design team member
- A full driving licence is desirable
- Educated to degree level in physical sciences or any engineering discipline – for example physics, mechanical or electrical engineering, building services engineering, environmental engineering, architectural engineering
To meet with current legislation, at the time of starting their employment, the successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK.
We offer 24 days’ leave plus additional flexi-leave (up to 12 days flex, plus an additional 10 days’ unpaid leave), flexible working hours, private healthcare, life assurance, company pension scheme, regular appraisals and a profit-share bonus scheme. Salary is highly competitive and will increase rapidly with experience.
Method Consulting is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably-qualified persons.
To apply please send your CV and a chatty letter telling us about your background and why you are interested in the role to us.
Please note we cannot accept applications without a chatty letter or cover letter.